The Wellcome Trust is an independent, global charitable foundation (registered charity number 210183). Like all registered charities in England and Wales, Wellcome is regulated by the Charity Commission.
Wellcome's governing document is our Constitution, an updated version of Sir Henry Wellcome's will.
We take advice and recommendations from committees of subject matter experts and peer reviewers to make funding decisions on grant applications. Individual members of our Board of Governors may, in various circumstances, sit on committees as members or observers.
The Wellcome Trust was created in 1936 by the will of Sir Henry Wellcome. It is now governed by its Constitution. The Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales (registration number 210183). The sole trustee of the Wellcome Trust is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company limited by guarantee registered in England (company number 2711000).
- View the Constitution [PDF 153KB]
- View the Articles of Association [PDF 156KB]
- View the Memorandum of Association [PDF 76KB]
Wellcome's Conflict of Interest Policy [PDF 137KB] applies to all employees, Governors and committee members.
Board of Governors
The Board of Governors guides and oversees Wellcome in achieving its mission to improve health for everyone by helping great ideas to thrive. The board is responsible for all Wellcome’s activities but focuses on our mission, professionalism and people.
- ensuring we fulfil our mission by adopting the right long-term strategy and priorities
- assessing regularly and robustly whether we have been successful, according to our success framework.
- upholding high standards in the way we run Wellcome, and the way we conduct ourselves
- ensuring we are true to our principles in all that we do.
- ensuring we have a high-quality culture of which we can be proud and that reflects our principles
- having the right people in place to deliver our mission, both within Wellcome and externally in the activities we support.
The Board of Governors is supported by its principal committees, all of which have at least one member who is a governor. The membership and terms of reference of these committees are:
- Investment Committee terms of reference [PDF 23KB]
- Remuneration Committee [PDF 33KB]
- Nominations Committee [PDF 32KB]
- Audit and Risk Committee [PDF 86KB]
Executive Leadership Team
Our leadership team is made up of senior managers from Wellcome's different divisions. It is chaired by our Director, Jeremy Farrar, who is equivalent to a CEO. It reports directly to the Board of Governors.
Executive team members are responsible for Wellcome's day-to-day management and provide advice to both the governors and the Director on strategic, planning, operational and policy matters.
How we make funding decisions
We rely on external experts to help us make decisions across Wellcome's funding remit. External experts act as members of our advisory committees and provide us with written peer reviews.
View a list of the advisory committees that shortlist and interview people who have applied for funding.
We recognise the burden of peer review on the research communities, and are extremely grateful to those people listed below who have provided us with their expert reviews and funding advice during 2018.
Related reports and documents
Gender pay gap
We've published details about Wellcome's 2018 gender pay gap and the measures we're taking to eradicate it.
Sign up to our newsletter
Get the latest news about Wellcome and the work we fund in a monthly email.
Thank you. If this is the first time you have subscribed to a newsletter from Wellcome, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription.