Research on Research Institute
We’ve launched the Research on Research Institute – an international consortium of research funders, academic institutions and technologists working together to develop more open, inclusive and effective research systems.
Co-founded with the universities of Sheffield and Leiden, and Digital Science, the consortium will carry out transformative and translational research on research.
Specific activities include:
- the creation of a secure data platform to help partners share research on research data, policies and practices
- partnership projects
- a programme of seminars and webinars
- regular reports, working papers and think pieces.
All research methodologies and findings will be openly available.
Research on Research Awards
In May 2018, we launched a funding call to support researchers using multidisciplinary methods to improve how research is funded, conducted and evaluated.
The four grants we awarded are directly applicable to the funding sector and explore:
- the criteria that grant reviewers use, and how they weight those judgements
- the feasibility of registered reports funding
- how to effectively evaluate collaborative research
- the development of digital tools to analyse statistical and image manipulations.
Improving how Wellcome makes funding decisions
We’ve commissioned research to understand how Wellcome and other research funders can make better funding decisions.
This includes looking at:
- current and alternative decision-making pathways
- who is involved in decision-making, including their roles and experiences
- the quality of decision-making, including bias.
More information about this work will be available mid-2020.