We want to help build a better research culture – one that is creative, inclusive and honest. Current practices prioritise outputs at all costs, and this is damaging people’s wellbeing and undermining the quality of research. Expectations around how research is conducted need to be reimagined.
What we want to achieve
As a community we need to open up the conversation about the changes needed in research culture, and how excellence should be redefined. Excellence should not just be what we do, but how we do it.
Together we can move towards a culture that:
- supports creativity, with ambitious and collaborative working across disciplines and institutions
- prioritises diversity and inclusion, so that everyone benefits from supportive relationships no matter what their background
- produces open research, which is conducted with honesty and integrity.
Tell us what matters
Our survey is now closed – your responses will show what needs to change in research culture.
While we analyse the results, you can still email our team with ideas and stories about how you or others are promoting positive research environments.
We will host events in 2020 to share the findings from our survey, and to bring the community together to find solutions for reimagining research.
Join the conversation on Twitter
Share your ideas using #ReimagineResearch
How we're making our meetings more inclusive
A lack of diversity is a systemic problem in science and research, but small changes can add up to help create a better culture. That’s why we’re working to make our meetings more inclusive.
Does the way Wellcome makes funding decisions support the right research?
Research culture is often underpinned by the decisions that funders make and how they make them. But what is the best way to decide who to fund?
PhD merit needs to be defined by more than just publications
There needs to be a change in how PhDs are assessed, with more emphasis placed on other aspects of training, to promote a more positive culture for early career researchers.
See more of our articles on research culture.
- Contact Beth Thompson, Head of UK/EU Policy, about partnership opportunities
- Contact Ben Bleasdale, Policy Adviser, about events and speaking opportunities
- Contact Sarah Rappaport, Policy Adviser, about our survey and research
- Contact Odile Chefdor, Head of Talent and Development, about training opportunities
- Contact Liz Adelanwa, Research Communications Manager, to share stories of people championing change
- Contact Diego Baptista, Diversity and Inclusion Adviser, about our success measures