What we don't fund
Although we fund a wide range of activities, there are some things we don't fund.
In general, we don't fund:
- scientific research outside our remit
- project or research costs you've already incurred
- costs to top up individual grants already awarded by another funder
- standalone travel or conference costs (although you can ask for them as part of a wider grant application)
- healthcare for patients
- the building of hospitals
- other charities if their sole intention is to redistribute the funds
- humanitarian aid or charities who give out humanitarian aid
- people who are applying for, hold, or are employed on a research grant from the tobacco industry.
Master's and PhD courses
We don't fund the costs of Master's courses or PhD studentships unless you are:
- Master's Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master's Awards in Humanities and Social Science
- Training Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Research Awards for Health Professionals
- Four-year PhD Studentships in Science
- PhD Training Fellowships for Clinicians
- Doctoral Studentships
- a postgraduate research assistant or technician employed on a Wellcome grant and doing a course that's related to the project being funded.
- additional funding to complete a Master's or PhD if you've already started your course
- contributions towards the cost of a PhD that isn't funded by us, such as living costs, travel and conference fees, and research costs.
We don't provide:
We don't fund undergraduate courses. Our only scheme for undergraduates is the Biomedical Vacation Scholarship.
If you're not sure if you can apply, or have general queries about grants, contact our information officers:
Our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 09.00–17.00 (GMT/BST).