Closing grant accounts
We aim to close grant accounts as quickly as possible when a grant ends. This allows us to release unclaimed or unwanted funds to spend on new grants.
To do this, we ask you to complete a Final Expenditure Report (FER).
We will also ask you to send us an end-of-grant form if your grant ended before 1 October 2018 or you hold one of these grants:
- Innovations awards
- Public Engagement grants
- Small grants in Humanities and Social Science:
- Small Grants
- Seed Awards
- Research Resources
- Research Bursaries
- Global Forum on Bioethics in Research Fellowships.
Exceptions to this process
The process may be different for grants where:
- award payments are conditional on milestones
- payments require specific Wellcome approval
- a specific agreement has been made.
If you hold one of these grants we'll contact you to let you know what you need to do.
How to submit your Final Expenditure Report
The Final Expenditure Report (FER) will be available on Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker once your grant reaches its end date.
We will email to ask you or your host organisation to complete the FER (and end-of-grant report if we've asked for one). You will then have 90 days to complete and submit the report.
The report should:
- summarise all expenditure incurred on your grant
- request payment for any outstanding expenditure.
We will process your Final Expenditure Report form and make the final payment. This may include a retained balance of 10%.
If you don't submit your Final Expenditure Report
If you don't submit the FER within 90 days, you will receive a further email and then have an extra two weeks to submit it.
If you then fail to submit the FER, we will close your grant account and keep the unused funds. No further payment will be made.
We will also close your account and keep the funds if:
- there are outstanding queries on your FER, and
- you haven't sent us the required information within a reasonable timeframe.
Payment on a closed grant account
We won't make any payments after a grant account has been closed.