How to enter the Wellcome Photography Prize
Entries for the Wellcome Photography Prize 2020 will be opening soon. We will update this page with full details about how to enter once the competition launches.
On this page
The story behind your image and the reasons you created it are as important as the image itself. All images are judged anonymously on the following criteria:
- Strong visual impact.
- Thoughtful, considered composition.
- Use of colour (or intentional lack of colour) to enhance impact.
- Clear link to health, medicine or science.
- Strong story or research project behind the image.
- Good image quality for the type of imaging technique used.
- Appropriate and skilful image manipulation/editing, if used.
- Submission of high-resolution image suitable for print.
- Satisfies the competition terms and conditions.
Judging takes place over three rounds.
Round 1: moderation
A moderation panel filters out images that don’t meet the judging criteria and, if necessary, reduces the number of images put forward for the judges to review.
Round 2: review of images in each category
The judges select a set of images in each category to put forward to the third and final round.
Round 3: decision on winners
The judges shortlist the images to be displayed in print in the exhibition, in media and online. They then decide on a winner in each category and the overall competition winner.
You can enter images made with any technique you think will work well. Here are just a few possibilities:
- photography (eg documentary, clinical, studio, still life)
- close-up photography (eg photomacrography, macro photography, photomicrography)
- microscopy (eg light, electron, super-resolution)
- medical imaging (eg CT, PET, MRI, X-ray, ultrasound, thermography)
- new and emerging imaging technologies
- data visualisation
- artistic media (eg illustration, 3D printing, sculpture, ceramics, mixed media).
Some image-making techniques will be better suited to particular categories, but however you create your entry it is up to you to choose which category fits it best.
To find out more about the prize
Call +44 (0)20 7611 8215
For media enquiries
Call +44 (0)20 7611 8866
Stay up to date
- Follow Wellcome Photography Prize on Instagram
- Sign up for emails to get all the latest news about the prize
Thank you. If this is the first time you have subscribed to a newsletter from Wellcome, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription.