Wellcome Global Monitor
The Wellcome Global Monitor is the world’s largest study into how people around the world think and feel about science and major health challenges. It surveys over 140,000 people from more than 140 countries.
The findings of the first Wellcome Global Monitor are now published.
On this page
Why it’s important
Right now, there are few insights into global attitudes to science and healthcare. The Wellcome Global Monitor will provide robust evidence on how public attitudes vary across different demographic groups and countries.
This evidence will help us and other foundations, researchers and policy makers around the world to promote debate, and frame proposals for action to improve engagement and trust in science and healthcare.
We hope the results will:
- help to improve and increase public engagement with science in countries around the world
- help researchers to take account of the social and cultural context of their work
- stimulate additional, often deeper and more localised research to increase understanding of public attitudes to science.
The 30-question survey ran throughout 2018 as part of the Gallup World Poll. The process for developing the questionnaire involved:
- a literature review
- expert interviews
- testing the questionnaire in seven countries – India, Thailand, Vietnam, Nigeria, South Africa and Colombia
- final piloting of the survey in China, Colombia, Egypt, France, India, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Thailand and Vietnam.
Read more about how we developed and tested the survey in the Wellcome Global Monitor Questionnaire Development Report [PDF 939KB].
- Sept 2017 to Mar 2018 – created and tested the survey
- Apr to Dec 2018 – collected data in over 140 countries
- Dec 2018 to May 2019 – analysed the results
- Jun 2019 – published the findings
Results and final report
You can read the Wellcome Global Monitor 2018 report online.
- Wellcome Global Monitor overview [PDF 31KB] – a one-page summary to help people quickly understand the Wellcome Global Monitor over email or in meetings
- PowerPoint Presentation with script [PPTX 17.3MB] – 16 slides you can use in your next presentation.
Sign up for updates
Get the latest news about the Wellcome Global Monitor.
Thank you. If this is the first time you have subscribed to a newsletter from Wellcome, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription.
If you have any questions, contact the team at email@example.com.