School governors and trustees
We support governors and trustees to ensure their schools and colleges deliver high-quality science education.
Why it’s important
Governors and trustees play a crucial role in setting the strategic direction for their school(s) and monitoring progress against it. They’re able to look at the bigger picture to drive improvement.
To do this, they need:
- support to ask the right questions
- evidence to help school leaders make informed decisions.
What we’re doing
Being strategic: a guide for governing boards
With the National Governance Association, we’ve developed
Being strategic: a guide for governing boards [PDF 149KB]. It replaces our Framework for Governance and can now be used by trustees of academies, as well as school governors.
The guide looks at how governors and trustees can:
- decide their values and vision
- create their strategy
- measure the progress being made towards achieving the strategy and meeting the vision.
Questions for Governors
Questions for Governors is a resource to help school leaders and governors discuss ways to improve science and maths education.
There are a set of questions for primary and secondary schools, which include:
- evidence for why each question is important
- national benchmarks for comparison
- ideas for improvement.