School governors and trustees
We support school governors and trustees to ensure their schools and colleges deliver high-quality science education.
On this page
Why it’s important
School governors and trustees play a crucial role in setting the strategic direction for their school and monitoring progress against it. They’re able to look at the bigger picture to challenge the school and drive improvement.
To do this, they need:
- the support to ask the right questions
- the evidence to help school leaders make informed decisions.
What we’re doing
Framework for Governance
Together with the National Governors’ Association, we’ve developed a Framework for Governance [PDF 641KB]. This is designed to help governors take a strategic view of what matters in their school.
The framework looks at how governors can:
- evaluate their practice
- set the strategic direction for their school
- measure the progress their school is making towards achieving its strategic goals.
Questions for Governors
Questions for Governors is a resource to help school leaders and governors discuss ways to improve science and maths education.
There are a set of questions for primary and secondary schools, which include:
- evidence for why each question is important
- national benchmarks for comparison
- ideas for improvement.
- The School Performance Governor Dashboard provides a range of information and data to help governors support and challenge their school leadership team.
- We’re supporting Teach First’s Governor Impact Programme, which trains new school governors to overcome educational disadvantage in schools in low-income communities.
- Read our consultation responses on the purpose and quality of education in England [PDF 160KB] and the role of School Governing Bodies [PDF 593KB].
More about our work in science education
Science education is one of our priority areas. Find out more about what we're doing to inspire teachers and students.
Reports and consultations
We produce and fund a wide range of educational resources for teachers.