Wellcome Photography Prize competition terms and conditions
On this page
About the competition
- The Wellcome Photography Prize ('the prize') is a competition run by the Wellcome Trust ('Wellcome'), a charity registered in England and Wales (no. 210183), whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK.
- Any person in any country can enter the prize, except for people directly involved with organising and/or judging the competition. Collaborative works will be accepted.
- The competition is free to enter.
- Submitting material to the prize constitutes acceptance of these competition terms and conditions.
- Completed entries must be received by 23:59 (GMT) on 17 December 2018.
- Entries must be submitted through the online submission platform available on photoprizeentry.wellcome.ac.uk.
- Submissions must be in digital format but the original imagery does not need to be eg high-quality scans of artworks are acceptable.
- There is no limit on the number of images an individual can submit.
- People under the age of 18 must have consent from a parent or legal guardian before submitting images into the prize and by entering are confirming that they have permission.
- Each image can only be entered once into the prize.
- Each image can only be entered in one category. Wellcome reserves the right to move any image into a different category if it feels that is more appropriate.
- Each image will be judged individually and must work as a standalone image. If submitting more than one image from the same series of work, please consider which images have the most impact and only submit those that each offer something unique.
- Diptychs, triptychs and polyptychs will be accepted if they are submitted as a single image.
- Images that have won or been shortlisted previously in the prize cannot be entered again.
- Any works originally commissioned by Wellcome are not eligible for submission.
- Images that have been previously published can be entered into the prize.
- Watermarks, names or other information identifying the image creator or copyright holder, their representative, or any institutional affiliations or publications, must not be visible in the images themselves. This information will be asked for as part of the submission process and can be included in the accompanying metadata.
- Any manipulations or alterations made to an image in post-production (eg false colouring an electron micrograph or intentionally distorting part of an image for creative purposes) are allowed as long as they are clearly described in the accompanying image caption.
- All images must be accompanied with accurate captions and metadata containing all the information described in the guidance provided during the submission process. For any submissions not provided in English, Wellcome reserves the right to translate these into English.
- All images must be submitted as high-resolution files suitable for printing as winning images will be reproduced including in print format. Images must be at least 15Mb in size (uncompressed file size) and use Adobe RGB (1998) colour model and profile. TIFF or high-resolution JPG formats are preferred.
- Wellcome reserves the right to disqualify any submissions not of acceptable quality or where the accompanying caption and metadata is insufficient, unclear or untrue.
Copyright and permissions
- For the purpose of this section on copyright and permissions, ‘image(s)’ includes image meta data and any written captions or other text submitted with the image(s).
- The entrant, or their representative submitting images on their behalf, must be the copyright holder or have permission from the copyright holder to submit images to the prize under the terms and conditions specified here.
- Copyright holders retain copyright in their work.
- Copyright holders grant to Wellcome a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable right to copy, adapt, distribute, perform and use their submitted images in any media (including social media, online and print):
- in connection with the operation, promotion and/or description of the prize for a period of 3 years from submission
- for shortlisted and winning entries only, on a perpetual basis in connection with the prize (as described above) together with use for merchandising purposes and for any uses connected with Wellcome’s charitable mission to improve human health. When using an image, Wellcome will reference the particular health, medical or scientific story or topic to which it relates, wherever it is reasonably practical to do so.
- The above licence will be royalty free, save in connection with use on merchandise which generates a revenue for Wellcome, for which use Wellcome will offer the copyright holder a reasonable fee. Wellcome may grant sub-licences to its partners and the third parties it works with, solely in connection with the purposes permitted above. For the avoidance of doubt, Wellcome no longer operates a commercial image library and will not sub-licence any images to third parties for a fee. Copyright holders will be credited when their image is used.
- The entrant, or their representative submitting images on their behalf, warrants they have all third-party permissions and releases, including patient consent if relevant, necessary to have taken the image and to have submitted it to the competition in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- The entrant, or their representative submitting images on their behalf, warrants that any material submitted is their own original work and does not infringe the copyright or any other rights of any third party. If copyright or any third-party rights are infringed by any material provided by an entrant, then the entrant will take full responsibility for this. Wellcome accepts no liability for any breach of copyright or any third-party rights by an entrant or arising from a breach of this warranty.
Judging and prizes
- All judging decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into over these.
- If a prize winner or shortlisted entrant cannot be contacted within 7 days of the judges’ decision, Wellcome reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant.
- Prizes are as stated on the webpage at the time of submission.
- Wellcome reserves the right to exclude an entry and revoke any prize made, at any time, in the event of a breach of these terms and conditions by the relevant entrant.
- These terms and conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
- The terms set out here are binding, and Wellcome reserves the right to refuse or exclude any entries at its discretion.
- Wellcome reserves the right at its sole discretion to amend the terms and conditions, make changes to the timetable, prizes awarded or other aspects of the competition.
Stay up to date
- Follow Wellcome Photography Prize on Instagram
- Sign up for emails to get all the latest news about the prize
Thank you. If this is the first time you have subscribed to a newsletter from Wellcome, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your subscription.