Advocacy approaches we're exploring
Our project with Public First will have three phases.
1. What does a successful campaign look like?
- Review the existing literature on what makes a successful campaign, drawing inspiration from the worlds of politics, advertising and psychology.
- Profile 25 campaigns to understand how they frame their objectives, the tactics they use, and the secrets of their success or failure.
- Conduct ten in-depth interviews with leading advocates across different sectors, to gather their insight on building an effective campaign.
- Explore the public’s attitudes to different types of advocacy and campaigns through a mix of opinion polling and focus groups across the UK.
2. What does the research and development sector think?
- Convene advocates for R&D – from across industry, academia and charities – to disect the current political context for investment in research and identify the barriers to securing long-term political support.
3. What approaches could work?
- Host workshops to explore the emerging findings with advocates from across R&D and refine a set of advocacy approaches that might help the sector achieve its aims.
- Launch a final report ahead of the 2020 Spending Review to help the sector discuss and decide what happens next.