New Wellcome office in Berlin will bolster global partnerships
News / Published: 22 January 2018
Wellcome is planning to open a small office in the German capital later this year so that we can work more closely with our international partners on shared priorities.
Berlin is a leading international centre for global health, research, innovation and culture. As a global foundation, Wellcome wants to be part of this exciting hub, and we want to explore new ideas and opportunities.
Germany is increasingly playing a leading role in global health:
- in recent years the country has doubled its spending on international aid
- under its presidency of the G7 and G20, it has driven significant progress on issues such as WHO reform, epidemic preparedness and tackling drug-resistant infections.
Many of these issues align closely with Wellcome’s strategic priorities.
"We’re already engaged in many partnerships across Germany, and we’re excited about the opportunity of building on this and growing our network with other foundations, academic institutions, industry, NGOs and governments who share Wellcome’s vision to improve health for everyone."Wellcome Director Jeremy Farrar
At present, Wellcome has several partnerships with Germany.
- CEPI – the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations – is a global public-private-philanthropic partnership to fast-track the development of new vaccines for epidemic diseases.
- The Global AMR Research & Development Hub was set up to invigorate antibiotic research and encourage greater global involvement and investment.
- Together Science Can is a global campaign to unite researchers and institutes around the world to protect international scientific collaboration.
- The International Advisory Board for Global Health was set up by the German government to simulate solutions for AMR and other health challenges.