Members of Wellcome Trust community recognised by Academy of Medical Sciences
News / Published: 12 May 2014
Fifteen members of the Wellcome Trust community, both funded researchers and committee members, have been made Fellows of the Academy of Medical Sciences.
Academy Fellows are elected for excellence in medical research, for innovative application of scientific knowledge or for their conspicuous service to healthcare. The expertise of the new Fellows includes haematology, bioinformatics, immunology, psychiatry, biochemistry and health services provision.
Dr Jeremy Farrar, Director of the Wellcome Trust, said: "Many congratulations to all those who have been recognised by the Academy of Medical Sciences today. We are extremely fortunate to have such a wealth of talent in the UK biomedical community. We are especially proud of the medical scientists honoured today who have been supported by the Wellcome Trust. They have all made major advancements in preventing and treating ill health."
The 15 Fellows either funded or associated with the Wellcome Trust are:
- Professor Carol Brayne, Professor of Public Health Medicine, University of Cambridge; Honorary Consultant, Public Health England
- Professor Anke Ehlers FBA, Wellcome Trust Principal Research Fellow and Professor of Experimental Psychopathology, University of Oxford
- Professor Tim Elliott, Associate Dean and Chair of Experimental Oncology, University of Southampton
- Professor Majid Ezzati, Professor of Global Environmental Health, Imperial College London
- Professor Peter Fonagy OBE FBA, Freud Memorial Professor of Psychoanalysis, University College London; Chief Executive, The Anna Freud Centre; Director of the Mental Health Programme, UCLPartners
- Dr Philip Jones, Programme Leader, MRC Cancer Unit, University of Cambridge; Honorary Consultant in Medical Oncology, Addenbrooke's Hospital, University of Cambridge
- Professor Leon Lagnado, Professor of Neuroscience and Director of Sussex Neuroscience, University of Sussex
- Professor Angus Lamond FRS FRSE, Professor of Biochemistry, University of Dundee
- Professor John O’Brien, Professor of Old Age Psychiatry, University of Cambridge
- Professor Willem Ouwehand, Professor of Experimental Haematology, University of Cambridge and Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Honorary Consultant Haematologist, NHS Blood and Transplant
- Professor Fiona Powrie FRS, Sidney Truelove Professor of Gastroenterology, University of Oxford
- Professor Catherine Price, Wellcome Trust Principal Research Fellow, University College London
- Professor Sarah Tabrizi, Professor of Clinical Neurology, Honorary Consultant Neurologist, University College London
- Professor Dame Janet Thornton DBE FRS, Director and Senior Scientist, European Molecular Biology Laboratory-European Bioinformatics Institute
- Dr Douglas Winton, Senior Group Leader, Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute, University of Cambridge