Latest edition of Big Picture magazine available now
News / Published: 8 January 2014
The latest instalment of Big Picture, the Wellcome Trust’s free educational magazine for students aged 16+ and their teachers, is out now.
Focusing on proteins, the magazine will explore and discover how these polymers of amino acids give structure to living things, carry messages and molecules around the body, catalyse chemical reactions, and much more.
The magazine is available in print or as a downloadable PDF, with a collection of additional free online resources. These include a specially created film that follows a student, Marina, as she explores the costs and benefits of two different edible proteins: beef and insects.
Other resources include:
- a colour poster detailing protein synthesis
- Protrumps cards that pit different proteins against each other
- some helpful lesson ideas
- a series of image galleries, ideal for project work
- short articles on everything from venoms to antifreeze proteins.
If you know someone studying proteins at school, college or university, why not let them know about these resources? If you're going into a school to do a talk, or have students visiting your institution, we can provide copies for you to share.