Summer internship programme
Our summer internship programme for undergraduates is designed to inspire, encourage and support a new generation who will go on to make a difference.
You'll work alongside our experienced staff in the area that most interests you, building on your existing skills and gaining new ones. We value your insights and ideas, and during your time with us you’ll have every opportunity to make a real contribution.
What we offer
- You’ll work on real projects and earn a prorated salary of £17,150.
- You’ll be part of a group of fellow interns and get to share your experiences together.
- You’ll have a dedicated line manager who’ll support and mentor you, and oversee your work.
- You’ll have lots of opportunities for development – including the chance to meet people from across Wellcome, hear from industry experts, attend career development workshops and participate in group volunteering days.
- You'll gain insight into how a global charity works and leave your internship with some great connections and experience.
Who can apply
- be a current undergraduate partway through your studies (the scheme is not for people in their final year)
- be available for the entire programme
- have the right to work in the UK.
You’re not eligible if you’ve already completed a Wellcome internship.
How to apply
The 2016 summer internship programme has closed for applications.
Applications for the 2017 summer internship programme will open in early 2017, and we'll advertise the available opportunities then.
My internship has allowed me to use my passion in making science accessible and relatable to different audiences. It's been great working on the Food and Drink Initiative and in a team that is so heavily focused on engaging the public with science.Scout Davies, Engaging Science
The staff here are a collection of the friendliest people. I am ending my internship scared that my future internships or jobs will not meet the standards that have been set so high so early in my career.Noor Alabdulbaqi, Science
My experience at Wellcome has been wholly positive and inspiring. I have a science background and have found that Finance has allowed me to really understand how the Trust makes such a difference in the research community. My understanding of accounting, financial processes and controls has developed through my work on mini projects. Everybody is really committed and enthusiastic, and has made this summer enjoyable and rewarding.Thomas Clarke, Finance
I've gained a range of transferable skills, from creating spreadsheets using various data systems to forming my own deadlines to complete my project. I’ve really enjoyed my summer working in such a friendly environment and encourage anyone interested to apply - it's an experience you won't regret.Darshikah Gnanakumar, Grants Management
Working for the Investments division has been truly unique - I've been able to develop my research and financial skills from working on a macro overview of India and a project on commodities exposures. I’ve also had experience in equities through covering some public stocks and communicating ideas to the team.Jia Jun Lim, Investments