Library visitor experience apprentice
This apprenticeship will give you:
- the opportunity to develop skills and experience that are crucial to a career in the library and museum sector
- experience engaging effectively and professionally with the public by assisting in the delivery of our innovative programme of activities, including tours and library-based public events
- experience in all key practical areas of the library and museum sector, including handling user data, promoting respectful and professional use of library facilities, performing routine shelf and resource maintenance, and retrieving resources to fulfil requests of library visitors.
This post will involve working on a rostered basis that includes weekends, evenings and Bank Holidays, dependent on the needs of the service.
For this public-facing role, we have a smart-casual dress code. You may be required to undertake an enhanced DBS police check.
Experience and skills
To be successful, you will need to have:
- a genuine interest in libraries and museums
- a strong commitment to successfully completing the apprenticeship, as well as to professional and personal development
- excellent verbal communication skills, proven customer service skills and confidence about engaging with the public
- good IT skills, with the ability to learn and use a variety of packages and programs
- strong attention to detail
- a positive attitude, flexible approach to work and ability to work well as part of a team
- ability to lift and carry boxes of library materials, push trolleys and use ladders on a regular basis, and to be involved in floor walking as a regular part of duties
- ability to maintain confidentiality at all times with visitor information
- ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with customers to resolve enquiries, both orally and in writing
- a high standard of reliability and time keeping.
Education and qualifications
- GCSE (or equivalent) grade C or above in English and maths.
If you are passionate about our work and eager to gain an apprenticeship and experience in the museum sector, then we want to hear from you.
For more information about the role please see the National Apprenticeship Service webpage.
To apply, you need to email:
- your CV
- information about why you want this role
- your relevant interests, experience and skills
to James Standage: email@example.com.
Start date: February 2018.