Developing our people
At Wellcome, we’ll encourage you to try new things and develop your skills.
We want people to join us who:
- think creatively
- aren't afraid to challenge the status quo
- have a positive attitude and an enthusiasm for learning.
We take your career development seriously. You'll find out about the learning, volunteering and social activities available at your induction.
Then each year you’ll work on your own development plan, deciding what you want to achieve and how you’d like us to help you get there.
Everyone we employ directly is encouraged to take advantage of our volunteer scheme, which offers leave and flexible working hours.
This gives you:
- two days of paid volunteering leave
- two days of matched paid/unpaid leave if you choose to use some of your annual leave for volunteering.
Volunteering fits with our values, benefits the local community, helps you to develop and broaden your skills, and is good for your wellbeing.
We will help you fit volunteering in and around your working week. It can be a one-off or a regular volunteering activity. We also have a cross-Wellcome group that volunteers with different organisations.
Here are some of the ways you can develop your knowledge and abilities:
- training programmes
- time off to volunteer
- working in other teams - anything from shadowing a colleague to a formal secondment
- working as part of an ad-hoc team on special projects - within Wellcome and with our partners
- 'My Career' festivals throughout the year, designed to help you think about your career plans
- a study scheme - we provide financial support to help you learn relevant skills.
We want to help you make the most of the opportunities on offer in our diverse organisation.