When we provide supplementary funding
We provide supplementary funding to cover:
- the costs of paid parental leave or sick leave taken by Wellcome-funded staff
- additional direct research costs (such as research staff and expenses) that may be incurred when a Wellcome grantholder takes parental leave or sick leave
- increases to Wellcome fellows' salaries resulting from:
- promotions (within an organisation and when moving to another organisation)
- regrading (for example when a clinician completes their clinical training and receives an Honorary Consultant Contract)
- career breaks.
You must include evidence with your request to show that the standard institutional process has been followed. For sick leave, tell us when you took sick leave and for how long, but please do not share any sensitive personal health information with us.
- specialist support to enable Wellcome-funded postgraduate students to complete their studies if:
- they are disabled or have a chronic health condition, and
- their Disabled Students' Allowances are insufficient.
The support should be project related. It can include assistive technology (for example text to audio software) to help students use computers, research equipment or materials.
When you ask for these costs you must include details of the:
- support you already have in place
- source of this support.
- open access charges from publishers who support the open access model (but your organisation should cover these costs if it receives funding from the Charity Open Access Fund)
- exceptional or unforeseen circumstances.
When we don't provide supplementary funding
We don't provide supplementary funding when the actual costs of employing staff are more than the salary budget we've awarded. For example, when:
- actual pay awards for staff are more than those used to calculate the salary budget
- staff are employed on a higher salary than originally budgeted for
- there is an increase in employers' National Insurance and/or USS pension contributions
- there is an increase in studentship fees and stipend rates.
We no longer supplement fellowship salary budgets to meet actual salary costs. This policy changed in December 2015 and requests for supplements had to be made before 1 October 2016.
You can use any of the other funds on your grant to cover the actual costs of employing staff.