Starting a grant
What you need to know once your grant has been awarded, including grant conditions and the grant start certificate.
Conditions and policies
These set out the terms and conditions on which we award grants.
These set out requirements for research practice and funding, including policies on open access and data management and sharing.
Starting your grant
You should complete a Grant Start Certificate through Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).
You can submit this:
- once you know when your grant will start
- up to 12 months from the date of your award letter.
You must send us your Grant Start Certificate to activate your grant. We won't pay any expenses until we receive this.
If your grant is going to be administered by an organisation, they will complete the Grant Start Certificate for you.
If your grant won't be administered by an organisation, or your organisation doesn't have an approver – someone who can submit Grant Start Certificates to Wellcome, eg research office staff – you will need to complete the Grant Start Certificate.
Grant start date
- Your grant start date and its duration are set out in our award letter.
- You can defer your start date by up to 12 months.
- If you defer your start date, you can defer the end date by the same number of months.
- Your grant will officially start when you appoint your first postholder.
- Your official start date determines the grant end date. This won't change unless you ask us.
Guidance for grantholders
Guidance for our Public Engagement grantholders