We consider and fund a large number of grants and awards through our wide portfolio of funding schemes.
This section provides data on the scale of our funding activities. It aims to answer many of the questions we're asked about:
- the grants and awards we have funded over time
- application numbers, award numbers and award rates, and amounts awarded.
This data is designed to complement the full information about our funding each year provided in our Annual Report and Financial Statements.
All grants awarded since October 2005
Using the 360Giving data standard, our grants awarded since 2005 are available as an Excel document.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence. This means the data is freely available to anyone to be used and shared as they wish.
The data must be attributed to Wellcome.
General funding statistics
Our 2017-2018 grant funding data provides high-level information on:
- the number and value of awards in our active grant portfolio
- total grant and award expenditure in our most recent financial year
- funding data by field, type, age and gender.
Please note that this data differs from that provided in our Annual Report and Financial Statements as they:
- include full commitment values for awards made as Programme Related Investments
- exclude directly funded activities, including Wellcome Collection
- exclude supplements, funds written back and other adjustments.
Funding statistics by organisation
This report provides high-level information on the number of awards, value of awards and award rates by organisation.